Dear Carmichael Families,
From the time I was in elementary school, through college, I participated in musical performances. Those are some of my fondest memories. It is an opportunity that many children never have the chance to experience.
The Carmichael Campus is so fortunate to have a parent volunteer with the passion, talent, and commitment to bring such a memorable experience to the children. For the past several years, Gia Camarillo has created a Spring Show that is amazing and great fun! She spends hours for weeks on end working with each class teaching them their dance moves. Then in the spring this wonderful show is shared with families and friends.
Due to our growth, and the need for a venue with more space and better oversight, the show was moved last year to the performance center at Mesa Verde High School. This has allowed Ms. Gia the opportunity to improve the show to include lights and a professional sound system. The audience is able to see and hear the performers so much better. The professionally recorded DVD’s available for sale are invaluable.
With the change to a different venue, however, we encountered new challenges, so we have identified ways to improve the overall experience this year. Dress rehearsals are critical to ensure a quality performance. Not only do the students need to practice on the actual stage, with their entrances and exits, but the light and sound people and the stage managers only have this opportunity to practice their parts.
We understand it is an extra commitment to bring your children to Mesa Verde on two evenings, but the final result will be well worth it. I can speak from experience, as a past performer and as a director of school performances myself.
Following are the procedures we will put in place this year:
- Dress Rehearsals
- They will begin at 4:00 p.m. and will conclude by 7:00 p.m.
- The finale and opening number that include the Kindergarteners will be first, so younger students may leave earlier.
- An administrator will be present to assist with any issues.
- Parents will be asked to remain with their child outside in the gathering area until their child’s turn on stage. Parents will not enter the theater in order to save the surprise.
- Teachers may choose to watch the rehearsal so they do not miss their class’ performance.
- Performance Days
- The show begins at 6:30 p.m. Students will be required to arrive at 6:00 p.m.
- An administrator will be present.
- Teachers will remain with their class.
- Parents & families will sit back and enjoy the show!!!
I hope this helps alleviate some of the concerns that have been brought to my attention. One last request: please return the yellow flyer that was sent home that indicates if your child will participate in the performance. The suggested donation amount will help reduce the cost to the school for the hall rental.
Thank you in advance for your support.
Ms. Kim & the Carmichael Staff